Amazon Best Deals

Search This Blog

Wednesday 24 February 2016

Virtual Reality, 3D Movies And Cheap 3D Headsets - Part 1

When I was first involved with Virtual Reality I was working for Wisdom Systems and Knowledge Based Engineering CAD supplier and was at Computervision who were then a major CAD/CAM provider.

It was at an open day and they had the top of the range Silicon Graphics setup with huge headset and gloves.

It looked a bit like this huge headset, big by surprisingly comfortable.
My task was to fly up to a flying VR helicopter, fly through the fuselage and replace the rotors whilst turning.  Reality would have meant instant death for all concerned but in VR it was easy.

As others roared with laughter, I bobbed or weaved and gesticulated with helmet and VR gloves and achieved the task.  I knew in an instant this was a real winner of a product and technology.  Then the 20 - 30 year rule cut in and it all went quiet, with just a few academic and military research areas continuing to carry the torch, but progress was slow and very very expensive.

Flip on 30 years and the hi res graphics in the mobile phone and the huge Ram and processing speed, mean that you can replicate the 3D VR space with nothing more than a cardboard box strapped to you head with a mobile phone in it.

The concept of side by side 3D isn't new, in fact its has been around for donkeys years. Most remember the beautiful 3D picture viewers which began appearing to take photography and the imagination of watchers, to a new level.  The images were stunning, I had a huge collection as a teenager and swapped them for an old acoustic guitar.

Being a geek I regularly get given unusual presents, and this year I was given a pair of the Plastic so called Google 'cardboard' 3D glasses.  I tried them on and in the next entry I will review them and explain how they are used.

#fixed1FUTUREtech

No comments:

Post a Comment

Its only worth while me spending time on blogs If I know they are being read and it is not easy to know. So If you have taken time to read a blog entry then please leave a comment or question. Thanks Malcolm